Thursday, December 13, 2012

NYC Trip Part 1: Jotted Thoughts from the Plane

Last week I traveled to New York City, Boston, and Cape Cod.
This is the beginning of the story.


12.5.12

Flying for the first time
(Or at least the first time that I can remember)
was really crazy.

I know it sounds dumb,
But it was really kind of scary at first.
I wasn't quite sure what to expect.

You drive and drive for awhile, 
and you forget you're in a plane, not a bus.
And then it starts going really fast.
And suddenly, you start to lift off the ground.

Then it feels like a roller coaster.
                                                                   and UP!
                                                        and up             before...       
You know,                               and up                     you
                                           and up                           plummet
the part                       and up                                  to         
where you.....    go up                                              your
                                                                                 d
                                                                                 e
                                                                                 a            
                                                                                  t   
                                                                                  h...

My stomach was prepared
and waited and waited on end
for that drop
that luckily never came.

There were bumpy little drops as we lifted higher 
and higher 
and higher.

Watching the cars 
disappear into roads,
roads disappear into buildings,
and soon enough
all that's left of SLC is little lights,
and we're level with the stars.

It was thrilling.
It was terrifying.
It was exciting.
It was beautiful.


I was mesmerized with the view the whole flight.
Being above the clouds,
and sometimes even going through them.


We basically had front row tickets 
to the breathtaking sunrise in Colorado.




December 5th, 2012
On the plane to Denmark, CO to Newark, NJ 

I woke up again.
My neck was craned,
but the stiffness wore off soon enough.

Mom and Dad were asleep, too.
Adam and Aaron were 
at the back of the plane somewhere.
Probably playing video games.

I immediately returned my glance to the window.
I can barely the places in the towns.
I assume the little black lines are the roads, 
but they could easily be rivers.
I honestly can't tell.
I can't make out any houses or anything like that.
I can only see what I assume are big buildings.

In fact, 
It looks looks like someone 
dropped a container of mini Tic-Tacs,
And randomly scattered them 
over the varying shapes and shades of grasslands.
We're getting closer and closer to the ground.


This doesn't feel real.
It's extremely exciting,
but completely indescribable.
It's all new.

I don't know what to expect,
or what to relate it to.
I compared buildings to Tic-Tacs,
for crying out loud.

It's an adventure I'm downright thrilled to experience.
Write back soon.

No comments: