Monday, July 16, 2012

Shells

       While writing my last post when I was thinking about "No matter how many lines they're in" this came to mind. I thought I would share it. I feel like talking less about me, and more about the people and things I've learned from. So here's a little ramble.

Yesterday I was driving down the street, 
and I waved to a guy who was in my History class last year.
I immediately had a flash back of when I first met him

I didn't like him at first.
I saw him tease a kid and I didn't like it one bit.
But one day he came and sat next to me.
We started talking.
I found out he like to draw.
He wants to be a tattoo artist.
We connected about art for a bit
And then class started.

When I saw him in the halls we said hi
And there were other times 
he came and sat by me again.
When I talked to him I learned 
He was actually really nice.

He had a big heart
under that thick shell of his.
He was a little rough around the edges,
But I'm grateful I got to see under that shell.

He told me a little about his life, 
and how he was trying to turn around.
He may have been a tough guy,
but when we talked he would 
put that away for a little bit.
I got to see past that bald head 
and big muscles 
and scary disguise.

 And instead I saw what we all really are under our shells.
A genuine person with a story to tell.

I'm so grateful he came and sat in the front row that day.
Because I relearned
how much I hate my judgmental mind.
But mostly because I learned that 
we are all hiding under our own shells.
Shells that keep us safe from getting hurt.
Shells that keep us hidden in the normal crowd.

[This reminds me of a quote from one of 
my favorite books when I was younger.

"Sometimes he reminded me 
of a turtle 
hiding inside its shell,
 in there thinking about things 
and not ever sticking his head 
out into the world."
-Because of Winn Dixie
(Chapter 2, page 16)]



I think we need to poke our heads out more.
Open up a little bit.
Stop comparing and finding fault
in the shapes on our shells.
Stop comparing our speed.
We are all slow.
We are all imperfect.
And instead of identifying the faults
look for the turtle inside.

Here's some things I found on Pinterest that really stood out to me.


But that was mostly for myself.
I'm working on my natural tendency to judge people.
Both of those are a huge bite to myself to keep me in check.
But here's this. This is what I really meant to post. :)
 

This is more like what I'm talking about.
Because under these shells we really are quite similar.
Because we are all made by the same Maker.
And there's a lot we can learn from each other.
I don't believe there is one person in my life right now
That I'm not supposed to learn something from.

I guess it's like this:
We're like pieces to a puzzle.
We're all different, but we fit together.
When we're together things make more sense.
We begin to see things in the bigger picture.
And we begin to realize that in this life
we're all working together for the same goal.

So if any of these rambles make sense,
I guess that I'm trying to say is this:
Poke your head out of your shell
So that you can allow others to do the same.

Everyone has a story to tell.
You just have to be willing to ask.

That's all.
I'm grateful for every puzzle piece in my life.
I'm grateful for you.
I hope you have a lovely day.
Haily. :)

No comments: